Siren Soup

Monday, September 19, 2005

You're kidding.....right?

Ok, I don't have time at the moment to write my memoirs of a trip to Charleston, however...I need to indulge in a quick rant on one of the most preposterous things I have ever heard.

So I am in the Charleston airport, after taking my sandals off and going through security barefoot after waiting in line for 45 minutes for my 6am flight...

So I get through security and go into your friendly, overpriced, airport newsstand. You see I have very fraile eardrums and like most people taking of and landing in a jet plane doesn't make them too happy.

So I wander over to where the fifteen billion types of candies and mints are which are completely surrounding a circular counter.

There is a man who is mysteriously circling this counter with the same confused look on his face. So we look at each other and say in unison..."where's the gum?" Figuring that there must be a hidden camera somewhere because we feel like we definitely must be missing something.

So a guy with a broom and an unruly beard says to us, "you can't sell gum in the airport". And we both look at him like he is crazy...."are you serious?" he says "Yeah, it's for maintenance purposes" Maintenance purposes?

OK, I have to admit I hate gum under the seat at the airport as much as the next person but come on, gum is a vital neccessity for anyone who is flying! I just didn't get it. He said I should try Mentos (not sure if e was trying to insinuate that I have bed breath). So I go to the counter to pay for my Mentos and still rather perturbed, say to the 60 year old cash register lady that I have never heard of an airport in my life that banned the selling of gum. She proceed to tell me that ..well.. Disney World doesn't allow gum anymore. Like this is supposed to make it ok. Last time I checked Disney World was not an AIRPORT. Where planes take off and people need gum for their ears. She went on to say that it is ALL the Disney Parks even the ones in JAPAN because this makes it more relevant to banning gum in an airport.

I give up. I ate my Mentos. And my ears still hurt. I'm done now.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger JR said…

    That sucks. In lieu of gum, you should try yawning when your ears start to feel the pressure. Give your jaw a little wiggle at the widest point in the yawn. If you get good at it you can release the pressure in your ears at will.

    I know it sounds weird but you are talking to someone who has way too many air miles (which are probably all about to be lost when Delta goes under)

    As for no gum in the stores....what a freaking pain in the ass.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home