Siren Soup

Monday, September 12, 2005

Did Somebody Say.... Wood?

Ok, so this is not the picture I really wanted to use. What I wanted was a picture of "Mr. Woodchuck" the handpuppet of Ranger Joe from Full House. But alas, the 80s sitcom icon is not to be found easily in the internet world.

Ah, to start my rant of the day. So at least once every couple of days and most recently by JPR today, I hear the expression "knock on wood". It's an odd expression but one that I have grown used to over my lifetime -- although I am not at all superstitious -- I have opened many umbrellas inside and walk under ladders all the time (maybe that's why I have such horrble luck...hmmmm....). ANYWAY... the point is, the majority of the time I hear this expression I am at work. And without a doubt every time someone says it they start looking frantically around whatever room we are in to find some wood to knock on, but alas, there is never any to be found. Instead they inevitably find themselves surrounded by unidentifiable man-made chemically indestructable substances (formica? Plastic?) and end up knocking their head instead (it makes you ponder the intelligence of people that think their skull is a good substitute for wood....). It is kind of disturbing when you picture some kind of nuclear attack where all life is wiped out but your grey cubicles remain....

1 Comments:

  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger JR said…

    The lack of wood bit me in the ass today. Definitely jinxed myself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home